Hanging indents (also called second line indents) involve aligning the first line of the Paragraph at the margin and indenting the subsequent lines. It is common to use hanging indents in works cited, and bibliographies in order for readers to quickly scan the works cited or bibliographies for author names.
Hanging indents can be achieved with manual hanging indents and automated hanging indents. This article will cover the manual method of creating hanging indents. How to Create Manual Hanging Indents To create a hanging indent with manual hanging indents, simply select the text you want to indent and then choose Indent ⇒ Hang from the Home tab of the Ribbon. The selected text will now appear indented, as shown below. You can also use the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl + I or Alt + Shift + 2.The following steps will show you how to insert a hanging indent in Microsoft Word on a Mac, PC, and the web.
What Is Hanging Indent on Word?
A Beginner’s Guide It’s no secret that WordPress is one of the most popular content management systems in the world, powering more than 30% of all websites. WordPress has become a staple for building online content with millions of active users. And it’s not hard to see why. WordPress is an easy-to-use CMS with great support for advanced features.
It’s flexible and highly customizable, making it a perfect platform for building any type of website. But before you can build your website or even start working on your next project, you need to know how to get started. This guide will teach you the basics of WordPress and help you get up and running. If you’re just getting started with web design, this guide will help you decide which theme is right for you. If you’re already a pro and looking for ways to improve your website, this guide will teach you how to make the most out of your WordPress setup. The Basics of WordPress is a free and open-source content management system (CMS). That means that anyone can use it for free and build their websites. There are many different reasons why you might choose to use WordPress.
Creating A Hanging Indent in Word for Mac
- Highlight the Paragraph or paragraphs you wish to add hanging indents to.
- Click Format in the toolbar at the top of your screen, and then click Paragraph in the drop-down menu.
- Click on the Indents and Spacing tab in the Paragraph pop-up window.
- You can select Hanging from the drop-down next to Special in the Indentation section. You can change the depth of the indent by using the arrows next to By.
- Then, click OK.
Create A Hanging Indent in Word for PC Or Word for The Web
- Highlight the Paragraph (s) where you would like hanging indents.
- Click the Home tab in the Word ribbon at the top of the screen.
- Click the arrow in the bottom-right corner of the Paragraph section and then choose the Indents and Spacing tab from the pop-up window if you’re using Word for a PC.
- To edit paragraphs in Word online, click the More Options drop-down at the farright of the Ribbon, then select Paragraph Options from the drop-down.
- Select Hanging from the drop-down menu next to Special in the Indentation section of the Paragraph pop-up window. You can adjust the depth of the indent by using the arrows next to By.
- Click OK to finish.